The Super League of Malawi (Sulom) has said it is waiting for Government to ease the COVID-19 restrictions inorder to have teams back on the pitch.
The league managers suspended the league for three weeks following an order by the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 restricting public gatherings to 50 people.
On Thursday, chairperson of the Taskforce, who is also Minister of Health, Khumbize Kandodo Chiponda announced that schools were to remain closed for two more weeks to monitor the situation.
Just like schools, sports activities can also not resume until that time.
Reacting to the news, Sulom president, Tiya Somba-Banda told the media that they have no choice but oblige.
"We suspended the games because it was difficult to adhere to the 50 people per gathering. We are following the law and we will wait for the time when the taskforce will ease the restrictions allowing like 60 or 100 people. That will work for us," he said.
Recently some teams complained that it was becoming expensive managing players without playing games.
A football analyst, Higger Mkandawire also told this publication recently that the break is likely to affect the performance of the players when games resume.
Mkandawire urged Sulom and Football Association of Malawi (FAM) to liaise with Presidential Taskforce so that games can resume amid strict preventive measures.
Mkandawire argued that Malawi should learn from other countries like South Africa who are playing despite high COVID-19 active cases.
At the time the league was stopped Silver Strikers were topping the list in week eight.
The Central Bankers managed to collect 19 points, up above Ekwendeni Hammers with goals difference.
Initially, the season was supposed to kickoff in March last year, but was delayed due to the pandemic.
The league kicked off in November and expected to be finished in July, which is likely to be affected again due to the breaks within.