The long-awaited Indoor netball court project is finally going to see the light of the day as government has affirmed it's commitment to constructing the facility this year.
Minister of Finance Felix Mlusu made the assurance in Parliament on Friday during the budget presentation for the 2020-2021 financial year.
"Madam Speaker, in the 2020/2021 financial year, government will commence the construction of the Indoor Netball Court and the Mzuzu Youth Centre, rehabilitation of the Kamuzu Institute for Sports will also continue," he said.
President Lazarus Chakwera made the same assurance last week when he delivered his first State of the nation address in the house.
"We will embark on a nationwide project to rehabilitate existing Youth Centers, build new sports centers, including the National Netball Complex and a Sports Academy as promised in our manifesto
"Simultaneously, 800 school coaches will be trained in various sports disciplines; sports competitions in all disciplines will be revived at all levels, and 500 schools that teach Physical Education will receive support,” Chakwera said.
Expectations have been high from sports lovers as the facility will cater for not only netball, but also basketball, volleyball and other sporting activities.
In the 2019/ 2020 National Budget, K200 million was allocated for preliminary works of the project.
Netball Association of Malawi (NAM) also secured sponsorship from Rach Family Trust who promised to construct the court estimated at K2 billion.
Rach too never fulfiled the promise.
Earlier this year, spokesperson in the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Symon Mbvundula said they were at the advanced stage identifying the contractor.
Last week, the Minister of Sports, Ulemu Msungama hinted that they were planning on moving the project to Lilongwe from Blantyre where it was initially planned to be constructed.